It is not easy to swim against tide but resilience makes it possible.
Resilience is the ability to face the diversities of life, bounce back, and grow stronger and better. A person can heal and recover from difficult situations and life events. It means that resilience empowers a person to accept the hurdles and difficulties of life, then face these situations courageously and finally move forward.
Resilience helps to manage stress, minimizes the chances of depression, and makes people live longer and happier.
Most people consider it as a miracle drug. Or it is a kind of magic wand that can right all wrongs and heals every single wound in an eye wink. But in actual resilience is like climbing a mountain with no trail map. As mountain tracking requires strength, stamina, courage, and help from others, strength also builds slowly with time and eventually gets strengthen.
Resilience is a way to adapt well when there is a condition of diversity, threat, trauma, or tragedy that appears in anyone’s life or it is about resisting or bouncing back to crack under pressure.
The person who survives and gets stronger after facing all these problems is called ‘’Resilient’’.
Positive Psychology and Resilience:
Resilience psychology is the “Psychology of mental strength’’. It is included in positive psychology that refers to the strength of an individual to cope with whatever life throws at him/her. Sometimes that person gets knocked out by the challenges but he/she never gives off and stands again with more strength and steadfast than ever before.
Why is it needed?
Un-ending desires and ever-increasing demands have created an atmosphere where people feel overwhelmed and fail to manage the expectations of life. In everyone’s life, a time comes when everything gets worse than ever. It feels like we are stuck at a point and life is not moving on. It is very crucial to regain stability, find balance and get recovered. In these circumstances, building resilience is the key to success.
In today’s world possessing resilience is undoubtedly a critical life-skill because:
Road to Success is not Smooth:
The road to success is not smooth, but it is full of failures. You cannot reach the destination without falling. You need to end up inevitability, internalize failure, and giving up all in once. Here, resilience gives you the courage to try, fail, then try again, again fail, and do the same in a repeating manner till your failure transforms into the ultimate success.
“Why me?” Attitude:
When your world starts crashing down and every effort that you make to handle the situation wastes, it is easy to switch in negativity mode and start playing ‘’Why me?’’ game. But negativity shatters you and pulls you towards a black hole of misery, self-pity, and disappointment. Here, resilience helps you to experience harnessing positivity in your life. Resilience makes you optimistic, happy, and calmer than before.
It has become a second nature of humans to resist or ignores the change. Although, change is inevitable and uncertainty is the only certainty we experience. When we refuse to accept changes, our life gets in pains and sufferings and we cannot get comfortable in the chaos. Resilience brings us out of our comfort zone and encourages us to break the chains of stability and allows us to dive into the unknown. Resilience helps you to embrace change.
Feeling of Commitment:
Building resilience generates a feeling of commitment in an individual to life, towards his/her goal, and provides a motive to get out of the bed every morning with positive energy and enthusiasm.
It aids people to spend their time focusing on the events and situations they need to control over. Resilience makes people committed to their religious or spiritual beliefs, to their loved ones and relationships, and to their goals and things they care for.
Types of Resilience:
The word ‘’resilience’’ is a complete representation of overall coping and adaptability but if it is in need to elaborate it, resilience can be further categorized into the following types:
Psychological resilience is all about adapting the mental strength against challenges, diversity, and uncertainty. It generates the capabilities and coping strategies that enable people to remain calm, strong, and focused on negative situations. Psychological resilience is also referred to as ‘’Mental Fortitude’’.
Managing the stressors as well as personal emotions positively and healthily is emotional resilience. Emotional resilience taps people into realistic optimism. Emotional resilience is a variable quality for every individual depends upon his/her emotional state of mind. Being more or less sensitive to change depends upon the nature of a person.
The ability of the body to maintain its strength, build stamina, and quick recovery is the physical resilience of a person. It is the potential of a person to adapt challenges, and proper functioning and recovery of the body after facing illness, injury or accident, and other physical demands.
Community resilience refers to the abilities of a community or group of people to deal with adverse situations collectively. It is all about bouncing back against natural disasters, economic hardships, violence, and other adverse situations.
Resilience – How to Build ?
It is easy as well as difficult to build resilience. It can be attained by coping with the emotions and difficult situations healthfully. But it is not that easy to cope with the issues positively always. Here, we are sharing four ways to build resilience.
Coping with difficulties to generate resilience:
Difficulties are an essential part of life. It is no one 100% satisfied with their life. All of us have our issues and diversities but managing the situations and facing the issues positively is the real challenge that builds resilience.
- No doubt, it is hard to stay calm in hard times and panic situations but managing the stress strengthens you to tackle the issues with more serenity and focused thinking.
- You should meditate to keep yourself calm, unstressed, and ready to face the everyday challenges of life.
- Focus on your health. Seeking therapy and using medical options are not the signs of weakness but a strong body encourages a strong mind.
- Resilience is directly proportional to social support. Being social can help you to become aware of people who are facing more disastrous situations than you. It generates a sense of gratitude for being better than others.
Actions to promote resilience:
If you want to be resilient, you must focus on taking positive actions to promote resilience in your life.
- Living a purposeless life is simply unpardonable. Having no aims in life leaves you open to being taken a poor life choice, manipulation, and anxiety. Dream bigger, set goals in your life and ultimately you can achieve resilience.
- Being resilient means more excited, more ambitious, and highly seeking for knowledge. Learning and getting the knowledge to fill you up with positive energy; the more you know, the more prepared and equipped you to feel to face the challenges of life.
- Be a man of action. Never ruminate over negative thoughts and ideas it may decrease resilience. Be active and tackle your problems head-on to build more resilience.
It is not an easy thing to be positive in hard times but only a positive attitude can help you and can grab more opportunities towards you.
- Avoid catastrophizing and focus on your past successes, and finally find a way to nip the negative thoughts in the bud.
- Embrace the changes that life brings to you. Consider these changes as an opportunity towards growing stronger, adapting positive changes, and building resilience.
- Always learn from your mistakes and never stuck with the guilt of being wrong. Move on and explore new ways to success. Focus on your capabilities and never allow people to control you.
How to maintain resilience?
Being resilient is not an easy thing. You have to cope regularly with the negative thoughts and bad happening of life. That is why it is also very important to maintain resilience. Some tips to keep you resilient are:
- You are most important for yourself so always take care of yourself.
- Make time for sufficient mental breaks to remain calm and mentally strong.
- Sustain your self-esteem and give value to yourself. It is an important practice to generate positive vibes around you.
- Nourish your creativity because a creative mind shows a positive soul and promotes strength.
You are stronger than the difficulties and adversities that life throws towards you. These hurdles and problems can bend you, but never allow them to break you. It doesn’t matter how many times you lose the game but the thing which matters is your courage, ambition, positivity, and determination you stand with every time to make another effort again.
Do comment about the article and let us know if you are you ready to be resilient?