From asking for a promotion, tempting a grade, arguing in, bargaining for the price of anything, or interacting with friends or family, it is persuasion that we all are using. It is a powerful action to influence people. It has a strong impact on society as a whole. From mass media to legal decisions, news to advertising and from politics to personal relations, persuasion is at work everywhere. But how to persuade people?
“From time to time, all of us fool ourselves…..to keep our beliefs and thoughts consistent with everything we have decided or done already.” Robert Cialdini
What is Persuasion?
Persuasion is a kind of communication that changes our thoughts and attitude towards something. It is a motivation that reduces cognitive dissonance. Persuasion changes the attitude, behavior, and cognition to make it consonant to cognitive dissonance.
Sometimes it is like we are immune to persuasion and it is not completely wrong. But in many situations, it is not the case. Persuasion is at play and we don’t even know it. The advertisements that we see on TV to the sales representative that we encounter on a shop could be influencing us in one way or the other.
Key-elements of Persuasion:
It is a symbolic process that has the following key elements:
- Persuasion uses images, sounds, and words.
- It adopts verbal and non-verbal ways of communicating persuasive messages like TV, internet, or face-to-face communication.
- Persuasion has become a big business and contemporary persuasion is becoming more subtle.
Is Persuasion wrong?
Glaser shared his opinion about persuasion that:
”Persuasion robs our abilities to observe things or situations for ourselves.”
However, it is not true in every situation. Persuasion cannot control us. It’s just a tool or a method irrespective of being ethical or not.
We all indeed have bad experiences with persuasion and that is why we consider it bad or manipulative. But this is not persuasion itself but the people who use this tool in the wrong way.
Persuasion and how to persuade people progressively?
Persuasion can be used positively as well. Whether we realize or not we get persuaded daily. Most of the persuasion done by our family, friends, co-workers, politicians, media, and strangers is subtle. It stimulates are needs, desires, and hidden wants for a better existence naturally.
Persuasion can be used progressively to achieve personal and professional goals in life without manipulating or harming other benefits. Persuasion can also be used for conveying a positive message in the society, leaving false or stereotype traditions, and for quitting bad habits.
Can everyone persuade?
Yes and No! Actually, it depends.
Answer to this question is a little tricky or complicated. There are few lucky people, the art of persuasion come effortlessly and naturally for them. Moreover, the people with this inborn quality use this world as a canvas of their makings.
While for others, this world is a daily struggle that leads them sometimes into emotional disappointment. But there is still a hope. You can learn persuasion. In this article, we will share some important factors that can be helpful in learning “how to persuade people” . We will discuss the required mindset that you need to cultivate and the skills you need to learn for persuasion.
How to persuade People?
To make people persuasive there are two main factors to understand.
- The psychological mindset
- Abilities or skills to use this mindset
The psychological mindset:
A person who wants to learn the art of persuasion needs three fundamental points to set their mind as a persuasive individual. These are:
When you are considered as an honorable person, you achieve respect and acceptance in society. People support you, accept your views and believes, and ultimately stand with your convictions and ideas. The following qualities help you to gain honor and respect:
- Open yourself to be taught by others.
- Remain consistent with your words, thoughts, and actions.
- Be compassionate for the problems and difficulties that people face daily.
- Be patience with people and display discipline in your life.
- Show a solution-focused attitude and display integrity.
- Show unconditional acceptance for others that will display your care and respect for them.
When people start perceiving you as being trusted, a channel of communication will naturally pop up for you. People start sharing their, thoughts, beliefs, opinions, and values with you that will help you to understand their mindsets. To gain trust you must follow these qualities:
- Acquire a state of harmony that projects consistency into your surroundings. Congruency draws respect for you.
- Be confident and competent, and display a strong character.
- Avoid exaggerated information, incomplete facts, and empty promises to set a credible image in the opinion of others.
It sounds a little awkward but presence is a state of being, that builds confidence and belief. It motivates people emotionally to do what you want them to do. Presence makes the world your oyster. You must display the following acts to show presence:
- Show yourself as a charismatic and passionate person.
- Being optimistic also ensures your presence in a community or society. Optimism makes it very easy to persuade others with your thinking.
The strong and powerful goal for the future brings excitement in people and it moves them, excites them, and also stimulates the logical and emotional points of their brains.
Skills to use a mindset to persuade people:
The strong persuasive personality also needs some fundamental skills that will enhance your influence and assist you when need to interact with others. These skills are:
· Personal Skills:
The persuasion process mainly based upon the way and ability of effective thinking of a person. Persuasion has to face many physical and psychological challenges that can just impede persuasion. Our skills keep us ready and prepared for the coming obstacles during persuasion.
There is a long list of personal skills but in this article, I am sharing three fundamental personal skills that are a must for persuading people.
- Critical thinking; It reveals the hidden facts that are mostly disguised. Moreover, it allows understanding the actual needs, and motives of people that help us to persuade them in a particular way.
- Problems solving abilities; Ability to solve issues and problems can boost up your power of persuading others.
- Creativity; Creativity helps you to think out of the box. It strengthens you by changing approach and makes you aware of the psychology and situations of people they go through.
· Social Skills:
Social skills are the backbone for persuasion. These abilities can make a person able to deal effectively with people. Social skills not only help you to understand others but it supports and teaches you how to convey your point more strongly to others. Let’s discuss briefly some social skills and how they target the persuasion.
If we say it is the highly applicable and most important tool for persuasion, it’s not wrong. Public speaking conveys your message most appropriately for persuasion.
Having the ability to lead people to enhance their persuasion. People mostly resist following others or undertaking some tasks. But a true leader can turn them to think according to his/her vision and this is persuasion. Additionally, Leadership is all about respect, trust, honor, and inspiration. You can consider it an effective persuasive technique.
You may consider it as networking. It is all about building one-to-one relationships, seeking about objectives, goals, and ideas. Moreover, it is about reducing the gap between probability and possibility.
Convincing people according to your with needs an excellent skill of negotiation. Moreover, it is about conveying your ideas and thoughts into the mind of others as they consider it their idea.
It is about tying strong emotional bonding with people to unlock their deep psychological thoughts. There is three key aspects of rapport creation:
- Communication skills: It is about effective listening and talking.
- Tact’s to seduce: The art of seduction opens the world of ecstasy and unbridled pleasure that finally moves towards persuasion.
- Body language: There are two proper ways of communicating with people; verbal way and the body language. For persuasion, it is important to learn the art of understanding body language. Body language works for you to understand the deep thoughts and inner sentiments of others, and it also helps you to impress or attract others towards you.
Fundamental principles of persuasion techniques
The persuasive techniques is a vast topic to discuss but for now, we are just making you a little familiar with the key points of persuasion. The fundamental principles of persuasion are presented below:
- Social validation
So, persuasion is a symbolic process that is used by a communicator to convince others for changing their behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes for a certain issue by transmitting messages in a highly effective way.
What is persuasion for you? Is it effective or manipulative?
Please do comment and let us know about your opinion.